A foreign corporation (or LLC) may not do any kind of intrastate, interstate, or foreign business in Maryland in which the local laws would prohibit a Maryland corporation from doing. The following non-exhaustive list of activities do not constitute transacting business in Maryland:
(1) Maintaining, defending, or settling an action, suit, claim, dispute, or administrative or arbitration proceeding;
(2) Holding meetings of its directors or stockholders or carrying on other activities which concern its internal affairs;
(3) Maintaining bank accounts;
(4) Maintaining offices or agencies for the transfer, exchange, and registration of its securities;
(5) Appointing and maintaining trustees or depositaries with respect to its securities;
(6) Transacting business exclusively in interstate or foreign commerce; and
(7) Conducting an isolated transaction not in the course of a number of similar transactions.
Wayfair nexus is created if a remote retailer’s cumulative gross receipts from sales of tangible personal property to purchasers in Maryland are $100,000 or more, or if it enters into 200 or more separate transactions for the sale of tangible personal property to purchasers in Maryland.